Adhemas Batista (Brazil)

Friday 17 August 2012


We were very honoured to have A—B join us from Brazil to represent his country for The World Series. Here's what he thinks of his country and sport...


What was the idea behind your design? 
Brazil over the last few years remarkably scored huge growth as an economic and emergent force, placing its name as the 6th biggest economy of the world. The future is even more promising with the approach of the hosting of two great events - the World Cup and Olympics. This new stage of Brazilian history is something we have never experienced before and somehow to me feels like an organic form, growing fast, untamed and wildly, chaotic and uncontrolled but filled with people's hope and passion. Somehow my design brings that energy and makes me think forms will keep moving and growing as I hope Brazil does.

What inspires you about your country?
The Brazilian "swagga", the way people live their lives, how colourful the country is and its culture. I love Brazilian folk art and northern cultures, plus the São Paulo's urban scene - chaotic but inspiring. Despite living for almost 6 years in Los Angeles, CA I will always recognise my roots and celebrate them.

What three things best capture what your country is about? 
The cliché says: Football, Woman and Samba. I don't disagree with the cliché, because indeed these are three strong elements in Brazil's life. Many people would be mad at me for selling the country this way, but I believe these are wonderful characteristics that only few other places in the world could be described for. We have a huge football culture, beautiful woman and samba is natural of the land. We also have all the beauty of Rio de Janeiro and Amazon forest, an economy which lately has been making European countries jealous, a digital community that grows faster than viruses, one of the biggest petroleum production centres in the world and countless items I could keep listing, but most importantly great designers, "laugh".

If you could redesign one country's flag, what would it be and why? 
Would be a great honor for one, maybe I would give it some minor tweaks to the Brazilian flag, make it more modern as its design has over 120 years. I believe only a Brazilian could re-design Brazilian's flag, and that goes for any other country flag, it doesn't make sense to me having a foreigner designing a nations' flag. I think this honour has to be given to someone who was born in the country, has its citizenship and has experienced the country's life and culture.

What is your favourite flag? 
The Union Kingdom flag looks just right, plus it's great for wrapping up products.

Did you watch the Olympics this year?  
As much as I could - I'm especially interested in football. 

If you could pick one Olympic sport to compete in, what would it be? 
Football, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment